Monday, April 19, 2010

Thursday April 15th: arrival in Tarija

Upon arriving at Tarija airport on Thursday April 15th, I was picked up by my colleagues from Cetha Emborozu. Upon arrival to the city from its Oriel Lea Plaza airport, one will be greeted by a sign that reads, "Tarija, La Capital de la Sonrisa" referring to the city's purported, warm hospitality and friendly inhabitants. During the drive to the center of the city, I saw many parades, as the Tarijenos (people of Tarija) were celebrating the 200th year anniversary of their victory over the Spanish. After a lunch in a typical local big lunchroom, and my first of many bolivian meals to come, I was put up in hostel Carmen. After settling in this cosy hostel, which as I already knew from my google preparations on the internet, I went to explore what will be my new city for the next 2 years…. TARIJA.
Besides the beautiful warm weather, I was charmed by this lovely little city’s center (ca. 200.000 inhabitants). The streets are narrow, with picturesk old houses. The streets are clean and the roads are well maintained. Quickly I found the 2 most important plazas, Plaza Principal and Plaza Sucre. Both plazas offer a good selection of restaurants and cafes. Both plazas are lively and full of people, palm trees and a warm pleasant atmosphere.
After having a very good coffee and believe it or not, a very good and big piece of chocolate cake, my jet lag felt less severe for a moment. A moment to cherish, sun, palm trees, lively latin plaza, good coffee and great chocolate cake…. Needless to say, my first impression was good. Only to be solidified by an even better dinner at restaurant El Gatopardo at plaza Principal that night. Life felt good, and so did the jet lag and the altitude of 1800 meters, that put me directly to sleep a little later that night.

2 comments:

  1. Hiiii Lars, so far so good man!! Wat een avontuur en wat heel erg leuk dat we zo een beetje met je mee kunnen reizen. Buena suerte, liefs van Jeandré

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! You be lucky you're still alive after that small technical problem.
    You make Tarija sound very nice, I really do hope you've brought the good cameras and will start to deliver lovely photos. I know you can!
    Two years sounds awfully long even though we haven't seen each other in almost 6! God, you will be missed. Take care now. LOVE

    ReplyDelete